Música: Questions and Answers - Philip Glass, composer



Philip Glass, 71, was born in Baltimore, Maryland. He studied music at New York's Juilliard School and in Paris, then supported himself with a variety of jobs, including driving a New York taxi, until his 40s, when he began to compose full-time. His work includes operas, chamber music, and film scores. Glass Box, a 10-disc retrospective, is out now. He has been married four times, has four children and lives in New York and Nova Scotia.

When were you happiest?

There are many moments of happiness for me. I swim in a sea of them. They are related to my family and work.

What is your greatest fear?

One that will definitely happen - that I won't finish everything I want to do.

What is your earliest memory?

Listening to music, aged three or four.

Which living person do you most admire, and why?

Ravi Shankar and Doris Lessing, my two oldest friends. Ravi is an inspiration in terms of music. I admire Doris for the consistency of her intellect.

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?

I find myself a very lazy person. I try to keep busy because we have very little time to do what we need to do.

What is the trait you most deplore in others?

The same thing.

Aside from a property, what's the most expensive thing you've bought?

My education.

What is your most treasured possession?

The same thing.

Where would you like to live?

The places I like tend to be remote and dominated by nature.

What would your super power be?

Memory.

What makes you depressed?

I can be disturbed, but depressed is something different. One of the most disturbing things is the inequalities that we tolerate.

Who would play you in the film of your life?

I have no idea. I don't go to movies.

What is your most unappealing habit?

Getting up too early, around 5am. I'd much rather sleep late, but I never do.

What is your favourite smell?

A new box of peppermint tea.

What is the worst thing anyone's said to you?

Fairly frequently someone comes up to me and says, 'Don't I know you from somewhere?' They do, but they don't know why, and I am not in the business of reminding them.

Cat or dog?

I've had both and I've abandoned the habit of having them.

What do you owe your parents?

My father, his character; my mother, her wit and intellect.

What or who is the greatest love of your life?

Always the children and grandchildren.

What was the best kiss of your life?

There are different kinds. I remember a friend who embraced me a few days before he died. I discovered later what the embrace was about: he knew he was dying and I didn't.

Have you ever said 'I love you' and not meant it?

Of course.

Which living person do you most despise, and why?

Politicians who publicly promise to devote themselves to the betterment of other people and then just better themselves or their friends.

What is the worst job you've done?

As a very young fellow, about 15, I had a job cooking hamburgers. I've been a vegetarian for 51 years, so that must have been a precursor of my inclination to give up meat.

What has been your biggest disappointment?

I don't know. I was lucky; I was able to study with the people I wanted to, be friends with the people I wanted to and in the end I've been able to make a living the way I wanted to.

If you could edit your past, what would you change?

There have been some encounters, social or personal, that went on a bit longer than they needed to.

If you could go back in time, where would you go?

Very far back - I am curious about the beginnings of things.

When did you last cry, and why?

At my age, you start to lose friends and that can be very moving.

How do you relax?

Sitting at the piano and playing music - that is also how I work.

What single thing would improve the quality of your life?

To live in a world filled with less violence and fear.

What is the most important lesson life has taught you?

The thing that we all learn - that it goes by far too quickly.





http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/nov/29/music-philip-glass-composer

Comentarios

Entradas populares